When looking for information about a particular issue, how often do you try to resist biases toward your own point of view?
This assignment asks you to engage in this aspect of critical thinking.
Write a 3 page paper in which you:
- State your position on the topic “Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?”, Conflicting Viewpoints Essay: Part 1.
- Identify three premises (reasons) from https://socialnetworking.procon.org that support your position, and explain why you selected these specific reasons. (Make sure to agree with the topic question “Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?”)
- Explain your answers to the “believing” questions about the three premises opposing your position from https://socialnetworking.procon.org (For this part, make sure to only use Con 1, Con 11 and Con 21 from the website)
- Examine at least two types of biases that you likely experienced as you evaluated the premises for and against your position.
- Discuss the effects of your own enculturation or group identification that may have influenced your biases.
- Discuss whether your thinking about the topic has changed after playing the “Believing Game,” even if your position on the issue has stayed the same.
The paper should follow guidelines for clear and organized writing:
- Include an introductory paragraph and concluding paragraph.
- Address the main ideas in body paragraphs with a topic sentence and supporting sentences.
- Adhere to standard rules of English grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and spelling.
- Use four sources to support your writing. Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate. Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment